Looking for the best sewing machine for advanced sewers? Have you outgrown your beginner’s sewing machine and looking for something with more features? This post goes over some of the best sewing machines for advanced sewers and some of the features that you should look for in your next sewing machine.
If you’re in a hurry (or just curious!) –
✅ Check deals on sewing machines for advanced sewers
Table of contents
- Best Sewing Machine for Advanced Sewers
- 1. Best all Around: Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine
- 2. Best Mechanical: Singer 4423 Sewing Machine
- 3. Best Value: Singer 7258 Computerized Sewing Machine
- 4. Brother HC1850 Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 5. Janome 4120QDC Computerized Sewing Machine
- Sewing Machines for Advanced Sewers FAQ
Best Sewing Machine for Advanced Sewers
Best All Around
- 600 built-in stitches
- Five different fonts
- 850 stitches per minute
- Detachable extension table
- 25 year warranty
- 23 built in stitches
- Mechanical sewing machine
- Metal frame
- 60% stronger motor
- 25 year warranty
- 100 built-in stitches
- 650-700 stitches per minute
- 25 year warranty
1. Best All Around: Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine
The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine is a top rated computerized sewing machine for advanced sewers. With over 4500 reviews and a super high rating, you know this is one of the quality sewing machines! This computerized sewing machine is great for advanced sewing projects – but that doesn’t mean it’s hard to use. This sewing machine comes with many easy to use features. Some of the features include a drop in bobbin and automatic threading. It also has an automatic bobbin winding clutch, automatic tension settings, an extra high presser foot lift range, and more.
This sewing machine comes with 600 different built in stitches. It has five different fonts for machine embroidery of monograms and words. It also has 13 built in 1-step buttonholes. This sewing machine sews at 850 stitches per minute. It comes with a detachable extension table that is great for working on larger projects. It also has a detachable bottom piece that lets you easily sew sleeve cuffs and inset sleeves with free arm sewing.
The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 is not a heavy duty sewing machine, but that doesn’t stop it from sewing denim, suede, thin leather, and up to 7 layers of nylon webbing per one reviewer. Certainly more than enough for most sewing projects, including some light upholstery work. This machine also is not an embroidery machine or a dedicated quilting machine, but that doesn’t stop it from being able to do some embroidery of letters and light quilt sewing easily. This machine has two LED lights for illuminating the sewing area. It comes with multiple different presser feet and attachments – an all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, blind hem foot, satin stitch foot, open toe foot, overcasting foot, darning and embroidery foot, rolled hem foot, cording foot and quilting foot.
One thing to watch out for with this machine is that the plastic outer casing can start to wear over time, contributing to thread breaking. Users have fixed this by using packing tape or command strips to cover the wearing plastic piece. This prevents the thread from catching and breaking and allows the machine to continue to function perfectly.
This sewing machine is great for an advanced sewer looking for a good all in one sewing machine.
- The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting. There are even five different fonts for personalizing projects.
- The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 computerized sewing machine has automatic needle threading. The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and hassle.
- The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute.
- Variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot.
2. Best Mechanical: Singer 4423 Sewing Machine
The Singer 4423 sewing machine is a top rated mechanical sewing machine for advanced sewers. This sewing machine has over 8,000 reviews and a super high rating. This mechanical sewing machine is great for advanced users, with a ton of features to make it easier to use. This machine has drop in bobbin, and a built in needle threader. Note you do still have to manually thread the machine. This machine also has manual tension and needle position adjustment dials.
The Singer 4423 mechanical sewing machine has 23 built in stitches such as a basic stitch, stretch stitch, decorative and buttonhole stitches. Note that these are not automatic buttonhole stitches. This machine also comes with quite a few sewing machine accessories. Included with this sewing machine are an all purpose foot, buttonhole foot, zipper foot, and a button sewing foot.
This is a high speed sewing machine, capable of 1100 stitches-per-minute. This means that your sewing projects get completed even faster! This is not a heavy duty sewing machine, but it can easily tackle heavy duty home sewing projects like repairing canvas gazebo covers, repairing boat tops, and sewing leather backpacks. This machine has a metal frame, and a 60% stronger motor that is designed to handle the heavier home sewing tasks. Just make sure to use the appropriate needles for what you are sewing.
This sewing machine is great for an advanced sewer looking for a mechanical sewing machine that can do heavy duty sewing.
- The Singer 4423 mechanical sewing machine has 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home decor, quilts, crafts, and more
- After following the threading path printed on the machine, the automatic needle threader helps you thread the needle without eyestrain or frustration.
- This Singer sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches-per-minute.
- The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for heavy materials.
- The Singer 4423 has a heavy-duty metal interior frame and stainless steel bedframe.
- Sewing machine includes All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, and more.
3. Best Value: Singer 7258 Computerized Sewing Machine
The Singer 7258 computerized sewing machine is a great sewing machine for advanced sewers if you are looking for a basic machine. This sewing machine also has thousands of reviews and a high approval rating. So you know you are getting a quality sewing machine. Even though this machine is more basic, it still has a ton of features that make it easier to use. When you are an advanced sewer, you want your projects to be challenging – not working your sewing machine. This machine again has the drop in bobbin. It does not have full automatic threading, but it does have automatic needle threading to save your eyesight. This machine also has automatic tension settings.
The Singer 7258 has 100 built-in stitches, including six different buttonhole styles. These are automatic button hole stitches. This machine has a detachable storage compartment that you can remove to use free arm sewing. This makes sewing things like hems, cuffs, and children’s clothes much easier.
This computerized sewing machine can do roughly 650-700 stitches per minute. It includes many accessories such as a all-purpose foot, buttonhole foot, blind hem foot, darning / embroidery foot, gathering foot, overcasting foot, satin stitch foot, quarter inch foot, zipper foot and narrow rolled hem foot. This machine can handle sewing denim, but it is not a heavy duty sewing machine. If you are looking to do more than sew a couple of layers of denim, you should check out the Singer 4423 above.
This sewing machine is great for an advanced sewer who is looking to do a little bit of everything but doesn’t want to pay for all of the features of the Quantum Stylist.
- The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine has 100 different stitches to choose from.
- Optimum settings for length, width and tension are set automatically and are customizable with adjustable stitch length and stitch width.
- Sewing machine includes many different presser feet, including a button hole foot, zipper foot, blind hem foot, general purpose foot, satin stitch foot and darning foot.
4. Brother HC1850 Sewing and Quilting Machine
This Brother HC1850 computerized sewing and quilting machine is great for advanced sewers. It has tons of reviews and again a super rating with reviewers. This sewing machine is great for everyday home sewing as well as basic quilting. It has a drop feed system to make free-motion quilting super easy. This machine also comes with an automatic needle threading system.
The Brother HC1850 comes with 130 built in stitches plus a sewing font with 55 characters for basic monogramming. It also includes 8 different auto buttonhole styles. It has a easy to read LCD display that you use to view which stitch selections and settings the machine is on. This machine has an extra wide table for larger projects like sewing quilts. It also has a free arm allowing you to tackle smaller projects like cuffs, hems, and children’s clothes with ease.
This sewing machine comes with a number of different presser feet, including a zigzag foot, overcasting foot, monogramming foot, zipper foot, blind stitch foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot and a quilting foot. This sewing machine maxes out at 850 stitches per minute.
One thing to be aware of with this machine; it does not do well with heavier fabrics or thicker seams. If you are going to be sewing denim or leather, you would be better off looking at the Singer 4423 or the Singer 9960 above.
This machine is great for advanced sewers who focus on quilting or general clothes making.
- 185 Unique built-in stitches: 130 sewing stitches including 8 styles of auto-size buttonholes, plus 55 alphanumeric sewing stitches
- Advanced needle threader and drop-in top bobbin.
- Includes a wide table, 8 feet, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
5. Janome 4120QDC Computerized Sewing Machine
The Janome 4120 QDC computerized sewing machine is a great high end sewing machine. This machine is great for quilting, home decor, and a good home sewing machine. This machine has the automatic needle threader and a top loading bobbin. It also has push button and automatic thread cutting. Tension is manually set on this sewing machine using the tension dial.
The Janome 4120 QDC 120 different built in stitches with a built in alphabet for monogramming and customizing projects. This machine comes with a large extension table to provide you with extra space for large projects. This is great if you are working on quilts or other large projects. You can remove the bottom storage area and do free arm sewing, perfect for finishing cuffs, sewing necklines, or sewing kids clothes. The Janome 4120 QDC can sew up to 820 stitches per minute.
This advanced sewing machine comes with several different accessories and presser feet. Included sewing machine presser feet include a zigzag foot, overedge foot, zipper foot, satin stitch foot, blind hem foot, 1/4″ sewing foot with guide, and a automatic button hole foot.
This sewing machine is great for an advanced sewer looking for a high end sewing machine.
- 120 Built-In Sewing Stitches with a Built-In Alphabet
- Built-In Automatic Needle Threader
- Jam Proof Easy-Set Top-Loading Bobbin System
- Thread Cutter Button will Cut Both the Top and Bottom Thread.
- Reverse Stitch Button will Have Your Machine Sew in Reverse for Reinforced Stitching.
- Lock Stitch Button Finishes the Stitch You are Sewing so You Don’t End Up with Half a Stitch Pattern.
- Needle Up/Down Button will Bring the Needle Up or Down with the Touch of a Button
- Start/Stop Button will Start the Machine without the Need for a Foot Control!
- Comes with a Hard Cover, Extension Table, Instructional DVD, Zig-Zag “A” Sewing Foot, Overedge “C” Sewing Foot, Zipper “E” Sewing Foot, Satin Stitch “F” Sewing Foot, Blind Hem “G” Sewing Foot, 1/4” Seam “O” Sewing Foot with Guide, Zig-Zag “F2” Sewing Foot, Automatic Buttonhole “R” Sewing Foot, Assorted Needle Set, Spool Holder (Large), Spool Holder (Small), Extra Spool Pin, Bobbins, Screwdriver, Lint Brush, Seam Ripper, Stitch Chart, and an Instruction Book
Sewing Machines for Advanced Sewers FAQ
What is the best sewing machine for advanced sewers?
The best sewing machine for advanced sewers is going to depend on what you sew. Are you looking for the best sewing machine for home use? Are you looking for a sewing machine for upholstery and home decor work? Are you an advanced sewer looking for quilting machine reviews? What you sew is really going to determine which sewing machine is the best for you.
If you are looking for the best mechanical sewing machine or the best upholstery sewing machine for home use check out the Singer 4423 mechanical sewing machine.
What features should I look for in quality sewing machines?
A lot of the features that you should look for in a quality sewing machine depend on what type of sewing you do. In general though, you should look for a sewing machine with a high number of reviews that are positive. This helps ensure that you are getting a quality sewing machine.
You should also look for a sewing machine brand that has a history of making quality sewing machines. While any machine can be a lemon, well known brands know what they are doing when it comes to making a quality sewing machine.
Another thing you should look for when getting a quality sewing machine is the warranty. Again, even the best sewing machines have lemons occasionally. You want to know that the manufacturer has a warranty and support team that will stand behind their machines.
These are some of the best sewing machines for advanced sewers. These top quality sewing machines are all from the top sewing machine brands. Each of these machines has high reviews. These machines range from general home sewing, to heavy duty sewing, to quilting and sewing and more.
- Looking for a sewing machine under $200? Check out the best sewing machines under 200!